Thursday, March 27, 2008

You little minx!


WARNING!!! NATURE FREAK IS HERE AGAIN.

My kids have now started calling me a nature freak. I can't help but notice...and comment on wild things that I stumble across. Living in East Lothian just means it happens a lot. Well the parental influence is rubbing off on to them. We were down at Hailles Castle having a game of hide and seek. i was on so I took the opportunity whilst counting to keep my eye on a reed warbler that was hopping around the river. Then I heard the kids shouting me over...they had seen something by the river. Sure enough the junior nature freaks had a find! it was a mink by the riverside. I was hoping it might have been an otter as they are supposed to be on that stretch of river, but it was smaller and black. Definately a mink and we watched it for ages until we realised Stuart was still hiding. It might have looked like a cuddly little creature, but they are partial to a meal of water vole or other animals that are in decline. This one was after a wren that was nesting near the reeds. They need trapping really but I don't fancy giving it a go. I remember all too well the boy in the next bed to me in hospital whose pet ferret had bitten his nose off (apart from the little bit of bone they were graphing skin to).

So if you fancy a new fur coat or a pair of slippers, just head down to the banks of the Tyne near East Linton and there is a 'do it yourself' kit waiting to be caught. Photo: Look closely at the crack in the log and you should be able to see the little devil

1 comment:

Crafty Green Poet said...

good to see your interest in nature rubbing off on your kids! There are supposed to be otters in the rivers in Edinburgh too, but all we've ever seen are mink... Nice photo by the way...