Monday, March 30, 2009

Going 'barebow'

It's been a while since I got on to the blog and updated you of the trivial matters that adds up to my life. Being a church youth worker the build up to Easter has been pretty busy with lessons and assemblies and various other stuff. These Christian festivals create a lot of work. Some of it is quite good, like the archery course I am doing. The first part of it was all about looking after the equipment and getting familiar with your fletches and nocks. I had no idea how much is involved and I learnt a whole new vocabulary of terms:
- 'flethcing jig' is a Heath Robinson device used for putting your fletches on and not a merry dance performed by Cornish Morris dancers
- 'Shooting barebow' is firing without a site, and not number 34 of the Kama Sutra.
-'Kisser button!' Let's just say it touches the archers lips, teeth or even their nose when it is fully drawn
- 'Limb dampeners' reduce vibration on the bow and are not large measures of Scotch
- 'Nocking point' is a point on the string and not the bike sheds in most school yards
- 'Windage' is a device used to gauge wind, not a medical condition

What I hadn't realised about archery is that it uses a different range of muscles on your back, not your arms. As there were only 5 of us on the course we got plenty of shooting in, but I am now suffering for it with a very stiff back and aches and pains in places I never knew existed. I wonder if Robin Hood had this problem?

No comments: