Saturday, October 17, 2009

Saturdays should always be like this



Photo: Some people unsuccessfully trying to surf at Belhaven



Photo: Running in the Lammermuirs, with that beautiful wind farm behind me.

It's Saturday and for the first time ever this year we had nothing to go to, nothing organised and so the day was all ours. First things first...get a lie in bed. Then one or two chores I have been putting off, like hanging out the washing, dismantling Isabelle's old bed. What a great autumn day, sun shining and not a bit of wind. We headed down to Belhaven Bay via the John Muir Country Park. There was a great swell in the sea so it was really good surfing waves, and loads of people were trying to do just that. I reckon at least 40 people, highlighting the growing craze it is. Most of them were unable to stand up and surf, so it was more the sport of getting wet and falling over, but still entertaining to watch. I had a quick wander up the beach to see if any of the migrating terns were still around. They usually screech at us and swoop at the dog, but there was no sign of them so they must have gone.
The next treat was enjoying a feast of pies. My post marathon diet is whatever I want it to be. I've been off the pies for a while now, partly because of my strict athletic training regime...but mainly because the pie shop had shut down. Now a new one has opened I tried a couple of their wares out...with beans! Then we watched Rocky IV with the lads. I like it when they choose to watch my kind of films, and they weren't disappointed with this no brainer. Emma decided to go and watch the women's hockey,and the kids went out playing in the street or something like that. I decided to go for a run up in the hills. It was too nice a day to stay in, so I headed high for some rays and a run. From Halls I headed up to the tops over moorland, distrubing a few grouse on the way. Black ones too. The landscape is dominated by the imposing sight of the wind turbines. Loads of them are scarring the landscape of the Lammermuir Hills, but I felt drwan to have a closer look. This area is Emma's dads old farm, Aikengall. Strange to see it so different. I then ran through marshes and heather to Pressmenan Woods near Stenton. It was a good run as it was lots of up and down steep hills (good practice for the cross country races). Eventually I headed back to Halls and enjoyed the rest of the sun. One of the things I love about runs around Dunbar is that we often see deer. Whilst they are very common, it is always good to see them. Because I was in such a remote bit today I caught them out and actually found myself running alongside them at times. Loads of buzzards out too, so a good run.
The evening is now being rounded off with curry, beer, Yorkie Cookies and Sensations. Rocky III and later Rocky V, but the real no brainer of X Factor is on now, which is why I am doing this.

Tomorrow this life of Riley continues with maybe a run first thing, followed by Andrew's footy match (an opportunity to shout out Rocky motivational phrases). Then the big game. Dunbar vs Glasgow Rangers. Yes you heard right, Rangers! They are playing Dunbar for a charity match and whilst they are not going to play their first team, a couple of first team players are expected to make an appearance. Andrew is ball boying, and I am going to join the near 1000 people heading to the New Countess ground (I nearly said stadium but that was getting carried away). To round off the weekend, I have the joy of knowing it is half term, so the holiday continues.

No comments: