Thursday, April 07, 2011

Busy month

It's silly season again. These Christian festivals certainly generate lots of work for me in the schools. This last week alone I have been working with 300+ youngsters presenting the Easter story in some fairly creative ways. Top of the list had to be today's performance where we had a clown juggling knives over our RME teacher. Had it gone wrong it would have been a perfect opportunity for him to explain the finer details of circumcision! Dunbar has a growing team of volunteers who are now helping me do this kind of stuff and I think they enjoy it too.

Over the last month I have done my annual pilgrimage to York with P5's...twice! 4 classes is too much for 1 trip so we split them up. I think this was either my 9th or 10th visit with school and I am now familiar with the local history, stories and locations of quality shops like Poundland! It was a surprise hit as the little n's spent their pennies on novelty gifts for loved ones back home. It's cheaper than those over priced gift shops, but the range of goods is quite different too. One girls dad will be delighted to open his gift of a tape measure, whilst another will be moved by the packet of dog biscuits and Brillo Pads. On trip 1 I accompanied Stuart's class and had a great time. Trip 2 a month on saw better weather and over 15 kids who got up for the 7.30am run on the race course. I managed a few extra miles myself too, keeping on top of that relentless marathon training torture. I always say it, but I thoroughly enjoy listening to Danelaw Dave the Viking re-enactment bloke tell the 60-70 minute story of Thors Hammer. Good to see the gift of story telling being used in a modern world of multi media.

The marathon is next week, and I am tapering down so enjoying some fine jogs along the beach the last couple of evenings. Spring sunsets and a warm wind make for the perfect close to the day. Our 'The Christie' vests arrived today and we have raised a small amount for them through our Just Giving page . We are not under any pressure to raise anything, but I know some of you might just want to support us or the Christie by sponsoring us. Feel free to give what you want to, I'm just happy to allow my sport be of some small benefit to others.

Talking of running, I was delighted to see our Dunbar Primary School cross country team reclaim their trophy in the East Lothian competition the other day. I'd helped train them through the winter so I was pleased for them getting such good results. The winning time on 1 mile course was 6:13...pretty quick for an 11 year old.

Other news...Emma's sister had a girl...Catriona. Much debate and discussion as to whether this is pronounced Catriona (as in C & the Waves...hairy armpitted German woman) or Cat Re:Owner. I think that's about the news for now so I shall probably next write after the marathon, as we are heading off a few days early to the Big Smoke. I saw the list of celebrities today...not impressive unless you count extras from Emmerdale, Hollyoaks and chefs of lesser know eateries as being important. There were a few I shall be looking for though. Her off the Apprentice with vinegar tits, former MUFC star and womaniser Dwight Yorke and the 2 ladies from Bucks Fizz!

No comments: