Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Wet One

Sunday was my first real taste of hill running. I've done a few short ones but none that require a map, whistle and compass and waterproofs. It was a 12km route that quite literally runs along the edge of the Scottish Border (only a wire fence to seperate us) and a route that takes in the end of the Pennine Way. You also need a small bag to carry them in. I searched high and low for one in the house and found the perfect solution, one of the kids England rucksacks. It might be child sized, but it did the trick. It also infuriated the Scottish nationalists who were behind me in the race. The alternative was a Spiderman rucksack, but that might have annoyed any baddies on the run!

Now having a map and compass is one thing, but knowing how to use them is another. I've been shown numerous times how to use them but I just can't retain the information. But then who would need a map and compass on a well defined route like that? Well it appears everybody doing the race. Cloud level was around about 2 minutes into the race. From there onwards you could only see 20 feet in front of you and nothing more. Knowing my weakness in navigation skills, I decided to follow the man in front. That of meant having to keep up with him, and at times I lost him in the mist which was scary. The mist also hid how high the hills were. I think I counted 5 hills, up and down them all, but number 4 was a bugger. It just went on and on. Also it was now cold and raining hard. The border fence I was following never seemed to end. Eventually I caught up with the bloke on the desecent and even passed him at one point, but then my laces came undone. Ever tried to lace your shoes with cold hands? I was still following him when suddenly he stopped! 'I'm sorry, I've gone the wrong way." Out came the map and sure enough we had. "We will just have to traverse". The diversion cost us at least 1/2 a mile but eventually our destination of Yetholm the end of the Pennine Way was in sight. So without further a do I finished the race (one second ahead of him) but in a poor 47th place. At the end it emerged that most of these hill runners don't actually know how to map read either, as nearly half of them had got lost too. Whilst I enjoyed the change, I think I will stick to roads and paths in the future.

No comments: