Friday, February 27, 2009

Pedal Power


Photo: Some of the many bikes at the school

Since losing our other car two years ago, to some spoilt kid who took Daddies car for a spin and forgot to discover where the brake pedal was before he set off, I have been enjoying the freedom of a push bike. In all that time I have not had any accidents on it, not even a near miss. There is very little traffic in Dunbar and cycling is a popular means of transport. In fact the primary school has just won some award for its achievements in getting kids to cycle. A third of the school cycles or scoots to school daily, and other third walks and the rest will sometimes walk or cycle and sometimes drive, leaving just 17% who drive (well their parents do). That is quite impressive given that there are 900 kids in the school. I was asked to make a video with the school to show to the Scottish Parliament our achievements. It was being shown last night so I am looking forward to hearing how it went.

Doing this has got me roped into helping out with other parents doing the Scottish Cycling Training Scheme (Cycling Proficiency). So who would believe that the very day I am on my way to teach kids how to ride bikes safely, I have an accident. There I was belting along when some kid stepped out in front of me from behind a bush. Brakes on full, I instantly remembered my back brake was weaker than my front, and this was confirmed as I flew over my handlebars, missing the kid who just ran off. No injuries apart from a grazed knee, and today a sore hand and a few other aches and pains. But the worst part was it was at the peak time of the school run so plenty of crowds to see it. Only another 5 weeks to go on the course, so hopefully by the end of it I will be safe to ride my own bike again.

No comments: