Saturday, May 30, 2009

Mr Invincible



How have you spent your Friday evening? Mine has been the most unusual in a long time as I have been along to North Berwick to watch the 'American Style' wrestling, performed by some Scottish blokes from Dalgety Bay. I should make it clear I am not a wrestling fan, although i was partial to a bit of Saturday afternoon wrestling viewing on the World of Sport. Big Daddy, Pat Roach, Giant Haystacks to name but a few of the over weigh lardy's. My reason for tonight's performance was that Stuart had 2 of his mates over for a sleep over to celebrate his birthday, so as they are all wrestling mad, I took them on a surprise trip there. For them they had died and gone to heaven, for me I had to pinch myself to ensure I wasn't in some sort of nightmare.

I can only describe the occasion as being like a hybrid of Gladiators and pantomime. I knew I was in for a good quality night when the first baddy was introduced. Something like Ying Tong Nagasakitona, loosely sounding oriental. Lots of booing was being encouraged just because he was from Japan. The character was masked, but I had my suspicions that Ying Tong perhaps originated from the East of Scotland in the Fife region rather than Japan. On the sunniest and hottest day of the year, his red arms and neck on his pale white skin were a bit of a give away. Of course he lost his fight to the gayist looking wrestler I have ever seen, wearing pink leggings and a hat. The most memorable had to be Mr Invincible. He was the fattest bloke I have ever seen and weighed in at 30 stone. Look at the pictures to get an idea of his size and of Stuart's amazement. His name was Mr Invincible, although could easily have been Mr Ginsters, Mr Blobby, Mr Coronary Care, or good old Mr 15 Pints a Day. He won his fight and then scalped his oponent. Funnily enough he had a similar physique to the bloke on the sound desk...you work it out! To add to the occasion I won a prize in the raffle....4 photos of wrestlers. This gave me an opportunity to chat to the woman behind the desk, who turned out to be the main wrestlers mum. In fact I got the impression that this was a day outing for the residents of Dalgety Bay. His name escapes me but with that long greasy hair he looked like he might be a student earning a few extra quid to pay off his beer debt...sorry I meant educational debt. But overall it was a good night out, unique and good value for money. The show went on for 2 and half hours. The kids loved it and summed it up with "This has turned out to be the best day of my life".

No comments: