Sunday, July 19, 2009

Day of Rest

Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest. Well it is a rest from the normal weekly activities but busier than most days...but not in a bad way. The day revolves around either church or a race. Church is at 11.30am which is great because both of us can get a good run in before the service and a hearty breakfast. It is usually only 1 hour or so, which means the rest of the day is free too. Don't get me wrong, church is not a bad place to be and I do enjoy being part of it, catching up with people etc.
The run was good. My marathon guide encourages distance running but also exercise of other muscles. That combined can be achieved in a big hill run, so off I set up the Brunt, through Woodhall Dean and up to some ancient farm land called Halls. About 12-14 miles in total and I really enjoyed the wilderness of it all, seeing lots of wild things on a fine Sunday morning. That set us up nicely for church. After church we had a bite to eat, watched the golf and then out again. Andrew is now a member of the golf club so he went for a round with Emma caddying. I took the dog down to the shore under the cliffs. There was loads of flowers lying on the beach. 2 weeks ago a young woman fell to her death. The tide has spread the flowers all along the coast which was a bit eerie. I got the fright of my life as I worked my way along these rugged rocks, trying to avoid an early bath. Hiding in one of the coves was a heron that flew out at me. Big birds and I think he was more shocked than I was. Back home I ended up fiddling with Stuart's gears that had broken. It was one of those fiddly jobs that drive you nuts. Then i had to make a few repairs to the rodents cage. The roof was leaking so now it has a new tarpaulin canopy. Then it was more watching the open. It all looked exciting with Watson looking favourite, and Westwood nearly getting a win...but in the end it was just some other indistinct American who won it. The rest of the night was spent trying to sort out a place to stay in the Dales, which is where we head next week some time. I think I have found a good rustic camp site, but hope they have more than nettles for loo roll!

No comments: