Sunday, August 02, 2009

Return to Herriot Country


Photo: Nicked from one of the clubs newsletter but I can't remember which one. Anyway, somewhere in that lot is me & Emma & Bruce!

There are rumours that I am converting to the Yorkshire given that I several of my trips away from Dunbar this year have been in the homeland of amongst others,John Craven. We were there on a family holiday camping in Swaledale (more on that when I get my photo's to illustrate it). It just happened to be at the same time as the James Herriot Country 14km Trail Run that I did last year. So I persuaded Emma to join us this time and enjoy a good entry level fell run. It's a long climb up for the first mile or so but at the top there are some great views to make up for the pain. My asthma is particularly bad this summer and it is taking me a long time to get my lungs warmed up. Until they are it is a struggle but then the inhaler kicks in and I'm okay. So in race terms that was at about 6km when I was starting the first descent. Thundering behind me and past me was some chunky bloke who looked about 6 heavier than us light weight runners. 'Bruce' was his name and became my target for the next bit which was up hill...a big hill at that. I passed him and then spotted a woman who I knew must have been one of 3 ahead of me. She was hard to catch but for some reason she decided to stop for a drink with just over a mile to go. But then 'Big Bruce' reappeared and flew past me again. I tried to get him but the legs were now going all wobbly and I had to let him go, but picked off a few more in the effort. The good news was I finished 2 minutes faster than last year in just under 66 minutes, but 2 places less, indicating everyone else was faster too. Emma also had a good race finishing in 77 minutes, which was pretty good, especially for a first fell run. The finishing areas was in a cow field, and the cows came and joined in the presentations, depositing their gifts that I quickly stood in. Bruce came and shook hands and I did my bit for encouraging asthmatics to do sport, as his asthmatic lad spotted my inhaler tied to my belt and was intrigued as to how I could run with asthma. So not a bad day.

No comments: