Saturday, August 15, 2009

Village Show


Just back from the Oldhamstocks Flower Show. This is a family favourite. The village is all but a few houses, farms and a church, but each year they put on a good flower show. I have never entered the show because I don't grow anything other than weeds. I am hoping that next year, with 'Patch's' assistance we will have some good organic produce to submit. It's all the traditional marrow, runner beans, jams, etc. I go for the race. It's supposed to be a fell run but it's always too wet for the kids so they keep it on the road on a 1.5mile (approx) course. Andrew joined me this year and with a small field entering, and more importantly none of the fast runners from the club, I was in with a chance. In fact I managed to win it, and Andrew got first in his age, so between us we took home a trophy and £35 for our efforts. Stuart was also in the money when he won £2 for the tug o war, and 56p and 2 humbugs for the game where they throw loads of sweets and loose change in the air and the kids have to grab what they can. Afterwards we spent the afternoon at friends in the village, with a few beers and a barbecue. A good day indeed.

Photo: Victory at last. In all my years of running this is my only first prize..helped by a small field of one legged runners with no sense of direction. See them in action here

No comments: