Monday, August 10, 2009

Summer in Swaledale






Our summer holidays took us to York for a few days with Sarah & Rob. We managed to plunder most of the great charity shops in Acomb (forget York just head for the home of the genetically challenged just a few miles out). I also met up with Dave Tew who I have known for yonks through the Criccieth camps. He joined me for a run along the Ouse that ended up being 12 miles. It was good to catch up and run. We also saw Julie & Matt who I have not seen for 3 years or since they became parents. Good to see them too and have a quick catch up and see their boy Joshua.

Having purchased a Liddl's special offer tent, we decided to head to Swaledale in Yorkshire for a family holiday. It's not far from the army base of Catterick, so it was alarming, but exciting to find ourselves driving through a firing range and tank range. The soldiers were there firing away, fortunately not at us. Swaledale is much less a tourist trap than Wensleydale. For a start off the roads are too narrow or steep for caravans. It is very scenic with loads of stone buildings left untouched, and miles of great hills. We found Mr Rukins Farm in the village of Keld where we stayed. He was a typical ruddy faced farmer who could not understand why anyone would want to camp in the rain. There was a choice of lower, middle or upper fields. The lower one had a river by it but he warned us that by the weekend the whole world would be wanting to camp there. We opted for the middle one, and he was right, by weekend there were hundreds of people squashed in by the river. It was a good river though, with great waterfalls, a rope swing and pools to entertain the kids. Camping to me is all about doing what you want when. A fire is a must and so is wearing the same clothes all week! The farmer brought us a fire pit and wood, so that was the fire sorted. It took Isabelle and Andrew 24 hours to realise that they had to provide their own entertainment. I gave Andrew a pen knife and he was soon happy whittling bits of wood, whereas Isabelle's pyromaniac streak came out, as she took charge of the fire, burning anything she could.

The scenery was great and I got out for a good run along the Pennine Way to Muker, and back via the Corpse's Trail. There was loads of wildlife out. The lapwings were good to watch and there were some other birds I can't remember the names of so i will have to dig out my AA Bird Book. The best sight on that run was a stoat that had a rabbit under its spell. It ran off when it saw me, but the rabbit was hypnotised and stood still in a trance. On another run along the Pennine Way I headed off for a short run to who knows where? in the moors. I think I saw a pair of Peregrines and after about 4 or 5 miles I could see a building in the distance on the moors. When I reached it I discovered it was a pub...the highest in England and is called The Tan Hill Inn. Unfortunately I had no cash on me so I just had to miss the pint of Theakston's and run back. Mind, I wouldn't fancy trying to run anywhere after a pint of Theakston's!

Whilst we were at Swaledale, Stuart was on the Explorer Camp at Wensleydale so we made a couple of visits there. I gave them a hand putting up the marquee and again had time to see old friends. One surprise was Kev Church who I had not seen since he was a boy, and is now a bearded man. Talking of which, I'd forgotten my razor, so by the end of the week I was looking a bit rough with my grey whiskers. I did shower though as the camp site had the best showers ever. Will we go back? I hope so, but I think Emma is planning on going to Spain next year for a beach holiday. I have only ever done a beach holiday once before and it was boring. All there was to do was sit on the beach because it was too hot. I burnt my feet on the first day and had to wander around in my socks and sandals looking like a total geek. I'm in no rush to return....give me a field anytime!

Photo's: The campsite where we stayed in Keld
The waterfalls and river at the campsite were pretty spectacular
Looking rough after 3 days without a shave
Isabelle burning some more stuff

No comments: