Thursday, September 20, 2012

Week 5: Scoughall Camp

This was 3rd or 4th year helping out on the SU Camp over in Scoughall. Although it is less than 8 miles away, it is so secluded that you feel like you really are away from it all. And yet 1000's of people know it all too well and make that journey back. The camps have been running there for over 50 years and have had an impact on so many people who now have fond memories of it. I was moved this summer to see an old Scoughall'er reunited with his old tent leader. I was out taking some snaps by the Peffer Burn next to the camp when I bumped into a couple of blokes who were chatting about the "God songs' they used to sing by the burn. I introduced myself and it turned out one of the men came to Scoughall between 1981-83. I realised he was in a bit of mess. Drugged up to the eyeballs and incredibly vulnerable. The man with him turned out to be a Salvation Army support worker who had brought him to Scoughall that day because he was so upbeat about it. As we chatted he recalled his memories of Scoughall and some of the people. It was a long shot but I suspected one of our more senior team members Gary Pews would have been at that camp. Sure enough he was and Gary came over to chat. My guess is that this guy was on a downer and things in his life had not turned out well. But he remembered Gary and was so excited to see Gary. "I bet you won't remember me' he said to Gary in a sort of defeated tone. But it was a moment of brilliance as Gary remembered this mans name and not only that, where he was from and where he moved to. Tears filled up in this guys eyes as a place that had meant so much was again delivering the goods. He had been noticed and remembered. Sadly we had to leave him, so I don't know what came of him. It was a great reminder of how important it is to take time out for the individuals on these camps. Photo: Scoughall's luxury accommodation
The rest of the camp was up to it's usual high standard. I like the relaxed approach to the "God' stuff. It's more an ongoing conversation with the whole camp, which for me is better for kids who struggle with meetings. I have a role at Scoughall which is to work with comedy genius Martin Boyd to make films about the bible stories, involving the kids as much as we can. We have a right laugh doing them and surprisingly we remain fairly loyal to the original story...although I am not sure Gideon's army made their attack on Space Hoppers, or that he wore a cravat! Photo: The view of Dunbar from Scoughall. So near and yet so very far

No comments: