Saturday, March 17, 2007

Don't know much about anything

I have just come back from a week of working in Dunns at Berwickshire High School. It was a Christian Focus Week run by SU and basically a team of us go in and do lessons, assemblies and concerts looking at Christianity....some might call it a mission but that sounds to preachy so I am not a big fan of it. I did pretty badly at my own school. It wasn't my fault all the teachers decided to have industrial action for most of the time I was there. It was also the time of the 1980's inner city riots and as half the kids in my school came from the riot zones of Moss Side, Hulme and Longsight then it ran over into the school day too. The result was they brought in 'community teachers'. The word 'community' was actually code name for 'crap' and most of them passed through within a couple of months leaving no positive impact on my education.

So back at Dunns I was amused to be asked to teach lessons on the subjects I failed at. The only lessons I taught this week that I have a qualification in was english (O Level) and art (16+, A Level). As for Geography, History and science.....well the words of Sam Cooke's 'Wonderful World' came to mind. Fortunately each class looked at faith issues too so I managed to get away with it and all in all it was a good week with plenty of debate and discussion with the kids. The pinacle of the week was the concert with some crazy Christian band and drama group. I hate those things but the teeny boppers love it. 220+ of them turned up. I was on crowd control...which means standing at the door chatting to the janitor and the dorks who hang around outside.

No comments: