Monday, May 21, 2007

The Palace

Saturday afternoon was all a bit surreal, we spent it at the palace. Not the Palace club in Levenshulme where I was once caught by Daily Sport photographers doing Bar Bungee with one of their page 3 girls, but Hollyrood Palace in Edinburgh.

Me & Emma got an invite from HRH Prince Andrew to spend the afernoon with him at his garden party at Hollyrood Palace in Edinburgh. Why? No idea other than this was the start of the General Assembly, the Church of Scotland's big annual knees up. Apparantly they invite lay people who do stuff for churches so that the clergy can get to meet some real people. It was bad timing as it was the FA Cup Final at the same time, but given the result and the slow pace of the game I am glad I didn't bother staying in to watch it.

So we arrived at Hollyrood in our jeans as we had been out all morning. The army were doing the gate and tried to turn us away until we flashed our invite to them. Then we had to get changed in the car whilst all these posh knobs wandered around in their hats. After getting past the next security gate by showing our photo id, we entered the grounds and headed straight for the marquee where sandwiches, tea and cakes were on offer. No crusts on these butties! and at an event full of clergy the caterers must have been having a laugh by including cucumber sarnies. There was quite a collection of kilts, hats, military uniforms, dog collars and national dress. I opted for my trusty suit (weddings, funerals, job interviews, court, etc) whilst Emma dazzled them all with an expensive frock! (£6 from the charity shop in Haddington actually). We noticed some plain clothes security guards trying to blend in, and the the Hollyrood Constabulary (the palace's own police) were begining to get into line so something was about to happen.

I took position as close as I could get to them. There was no security barrier so I'd say I was about 2 feet away. Then the Duke appeared. Not sure how long he would be around I took the opportunity of him standing still during the national anthem to get my snaps. He then wandered right over to me and started chatting to the woman next to me so I kept snapping away. Emma decided to startt alking to the Hollyrood Cops...asking them what she would need to do to get beaten by them with the big sticks they were all carrying. Here we both were just inches away from the future king (well if Charles and his kids were all killed in a road accident in a Paris tunnel or something) and a bunch of blokes who looked like morris dancers were the only thing between us. Then I looked around and the plain clothes boys were right behind me...and were right behind me for much of the afternoon. So off we went for a wander around, snapping away getting shots of a building not normally open to the public. We ate a few more sandwiches and cakes, chit chatted to a few people and then headed off. It was as I was snapping some shots of the military band that the cops moved in. 'Excuse me sir, you are not allowed to take photographs in the palace grounds'. Oops,good job I was leaving then.

So the photos you see here are top secret and must not be leaked to any Royal contacts you have or I will end up in the tower!

Photos: 1. me looking really interested. 2. Emma and the lovely sandwiches! 3. One of the Trumpton morris dancers. 4. Me & Emma in Dr Who's royal TARDIS. 5. HRH Duke of York who apprantly has 10,000 men who he climbed a hill with.





No comments: