Monday, June 11, 2007

Up the Law!


I did my first fell run yesterday up the local hill called Traprain Law. It was 6 and 1/2 miles, 724 feet climb and descent. This is a hill that is rich in archaeology. People were being buried there 1500 before Christ and at points in the race I thought I was going to join them. There is one bit where you have a rope (or if your a mad Scotsman barbedwire) to pull yourself up. To your right is a big drop into a quarry that the Victorians made. On the way down I lost my footing and narrowly escaped landing on my backside. We also had to wade through a river and climb through a barbed wire fence. This is all done for fun believe it or not. Anyway I did it in 47 minutes and I was cheered on by the local kids who I had taught earlier in the week. These fell runners are like goats the speed they run up hills. But look how skinny they are. I am stood next to them looking obese compared to some of these Lowry characters. I think I might go on a diet!

No comments: