Sunday, September 21, 2008

Back Trouble

My marathon training has taken a severe knock back. I've done my back in! I woke up with it feeling a bit sore a week ago, and its gone downhill ever since. In the end I couldn't sleep or stand or lie down. Agony! People with back trouble say 'it's like having a cold screw driver stuck into your back', or 'the bite of a snake and the venom surging through your body'. How would they know that? They'd be dead, but I sympathise with what they are trying to say. Why stop there? It's like having an 18 stone woman jumping up and down on your arse wearing a pair of stilletto's (Tory MP and probably numerous Anglican bishops) or It's like having a StingRay stick it's pointy thing in you (Steve Irwin). I have discovered that there are 2 things that bring it relief. Swimming and cycling but I struggle getting up stairs with both. Back ache is one of those things people use to bunk off work. How does the doc prove you don't have it? It's so over used it's taken away the genuine sympathy sufferers of it deserve. With 2 weeks to go until the marathon I can see the expressions of doubt on people's faces, thinking 'lightweight'. But I am told this 'muscle spasm' could go as quick as it came, so hopefully I can still give it a go. If not, then it's a weekend in Inverness supporting Emma and eating pies and indulging in all the other luxuries I've held back on throughout training.

1 comment:

Stuart said...

Get yourself off to a physio!