Thursday, October 09, 2008

East as much as you like

Photo: The Flying Fox

In the excitement of the marathon weekend I forgot to mention I had been away for the previous week with all the P7's in Dunbar. 133 In total. Oversized plates of energy food every 3 hours or so and hot chocolate on tap, I was glad I wasn't running on the sunday. The camp is a really good idea. All the P7's are leaving primary school and mostly going to the same secondary school. There are quite few 'wee' schools out in the villages. Schools with small gene pools but schools where the kids benefit from meeting others kids before they make the big move. So stick them all together for a week of outdoor activities and Bobs your uncle (or your dad is your uncle and grandmother as is the case in some of these villages). It works a treat and I've yet to see a better model.
My back injury prevented me from doing my early morning jogs with the hard men and indeed most of the other things I wanted to do. However, I did manage a couple of shots on the flying fox as I rightly believed the sensation of hanging in mid air might stretch my crooked back. It also earnt points with the kids who dared me to do it backwards and blindfolded and I pretended to be scared for effect. What's scary about jumping off a 30 ft platform?
On the return journey the kid in front was travel sick. Being helpful I handed him my ADSA plastic bag. ADSA being helpful put air holes in it to help your food breathe. The outcome was a small fountain of red, sour cheese smelling vomit pouring out all over the coach and the 2 kids sat wither side of the ill one. It gave me great pleasure to hand him over to his rightful owners at the end of the journey. Next year Andrew's lot go...i can't wait for that.

No comments: