Friday, December 18, 2009

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

The title of this post is not only a great Andy Williams song, it is mostly true or has been for the most part of recent weeks.
I was eventually conned into heading into Edinburgh city centre last Saturday to do the Christmas shopping. We drove in early and were parked up in John Lewis' by 8.50am and had an hour or so of easy going shopping in a half empty shopping centre. After that it was too much for my liking so I took Stuart off to the ice rink in Edinburgh's winter wonderland as I was getting in the way of the spending spree of Isabelle, Andrew and Emma. Stuart has never been ice skating, and being the 3rd child I realised he has probably missed out on a few things like that because the novelty of taking your kids to things has worn off by the time you get to the 3rd. So I gave him my whole hearted attention and hit the ice with him. I discovered Winter Wonderland is actually a hiding place for Aussies, Kiwi's and Poles. Not one of the people I was served by was Scottish. Even the street entertainer was from Brisbane. Still he was very good and much more fun than shopping. We were back in Dunbar by 1.30pm, leaving time to put more decorations up outside. The garage now has a strip of blue lights on it, and looks like a giant sunbed.

Saturday evening was also good. We had arranged with the local caravan park and churches to do a bit of carol singing at their Christmas meal. This all took place in their social club, which was not to unlike Phoenix Nights. There was a DJ booth and bingo machine on the stage and a resident MC fully equipped with 1970's sideburns. On arrival I was shown to the 'artistes dressing room' but moved quickly out of there as there was no way 20 of would fit. We handed out song sheets and we had a good sing a long. I narrowly avoided introducing 'While Shepherds Wash Their Socks By Night'. It almost rolled off my tongue. Anyway, it all went well and we even had drink on the house. Nice touch from the caravan boss, hopefully we will be back next year.



Photo: Stuart takes to the ice like a duck to water
Photo: 'O Come All Ye Faithful' Carolling at the caravan club.

No comments: