Sunday, January 24, 2010

Not another 'itis'

The thing with running is that you pick up a number of mental challenges that make running difficult. Common complaints include:
I can't be bothered 'itis'
I should have gone for a run before I ate that pizza 'itis'
I have lay in this bed long enough to convince myself that an extra hour in bed is going to help me get fitter 'itis'

Now though I have a physical 'itis' that is setting back the marathon training severely. Specifically it's that Achilles Tendonitis in my right heel. I think it's running on snow that has set it off, but gradually over the last fortnight it's started to hurt and last week it swelled up and looked like an old granny ankle all purple and disfigured. I went for my 12 miler last Sunday and it was a miserable experience that took far too long and left me cold, sore and demoralised. The advice was apply ice and raise it, so out came the left over Christmas frozen sprouts. Ibuprofen Gel does the trick but a week later after no runs and lots of gel I tried a gentle 4 miles and yet again it's flared up. More rest to follow, but this winter marathon training has barely got going for me and the plan for a PB is fading fast.

No comments: