Friday, February 05, 2010

St Margaret's Dirty Weekend 3




Photo: Evacuees after mike burnt the toast.

It's that time of year again when we have been away to Langdale in the Lakes with friends and family from our old church in Manchester, St Margaret's. I call them 'dirty weekends' as on the first one they ran out of water and all the loos were backed up and there was no water to shower in. The name has stuck. This trip was much more hygienic and quite a relaxed couple of days. The youth hostel is so big that we rarely saw the kids all weekend, except for a walk into Grasmere with all the other kids. It was an opportunity to stock up on Kendal Mint Cake as an energy supply for the marathon and womble around the shops. At night it was all about chatting to people we've not seen for a while, and to aid this, St Margaret's craft genius Sheila Brown had laid on some craft activities, and their very own quizter Mark Stansfield put on some great quizzes. I had a turn at pom pom making! Yes it is one of those things that I have seen people do and always wondered how it is done, so now I have a pair of fluffy balls that I am trying to find a use for! (suggestion welcomed) It is a new life skill that will sit there alongside others such as my 'O' Level in pottery.

We had great weather. bright sunny days, snow capped mountains and an opportunity to see the Lake District at its best. I couldn't resist a run, partly to see how my dodgy heel was getting on. Not too bad was the answer, although I could have done without the hills back up to the hostel. When i got back the fire alarm went off so there was an evacuation (for those who could be bothered). It turned out to be nothing worst than Mike burning the toast. Still, it got everyone out of bed early.

No comments: