Saturday, April 17, 2010

Taking Out the Opposition


Photo: "Experts have warned that it could take years of work by experienced professionals to clean up after the volcano.That's why Mum's gone to Iceland."


A week to go to the marathon and I think I could be in with a chance of winning it, although one opponent looks quite tough. Until recently the only good thing to come out of Iceland were those mini frozen profiteroles, but this week the bowels of iceland well and truly exploded via a volcano. For one, it has given me an excuse for my house being covered in dust and smelling of sulphur (although a house cleaning famine and Andrew's wind are the most likely cause) As we now all know, the world we know has come to a stand still, at least via air anyway. This could mean that those elite runners from Kenya, Ethiopia and Shettleston in Glasgow might not make it to the marathon. Even if the airways are cleared, the backlog of flights is going to be a nightmare to sort out safely. Emma's cousin Rhona is stranded in Hong Kong until thursday. She is supposed to be racing on Sunday and whilst her absence would save me the second humiliating moment of being beaten by her, it would be a loss to the competition as we all have high hopes for her getting a PB.

I have been checking out the domestic rivals via the celebrity list . I'd hardly call most of them celebrities. Being an extra on Doctors is the Scottish equivalent of appearing on RIver City. However a few Scottish folk are there, including thingymajig off Taggart and ex-Scotland manager George Burley. Other cops include DCI Mickey Wotsit from the Bill and some filly from Silent Witness. I think I might beat Dick and Dom and sadly Katie Price has pulled out due to a pregnancy scare. However the one I am thrilled to be running against is the Bionic Woman. Not Lindsay Wagner sadly, but the new version played by some Eastenders cast off. No bionics for me, but my trusty slab of Kendal Mint Cake should see me through the last stage of the marathon...I hope.



Photo: Jamie Summers, one of my rivals.

No comments: