Monday, August 28, 2006

Criccieth Blues


I have been away for nearly 2 weeks in Wales. I have run a Christian youth camp there for 12 years, and before that went as a youth for another 14. Yesterday 26 years of Criccieth Camps came to an end. The downside of living in Scotland is that winter sets in around early August, which means they have their summer holidays earlier and go back to school when all the English and Welsh are sunning it. This means I can't really run the camp any more as i need to be back at work, school running etc. It was the most emotional thing i have ever done...apart from getting married and becoming a parent. I blubbed all the way from Criccieth to Carlisle...thinking about the many fond memories of the camp. I am not bitter though as I think new leadership will enable it to go on for even longer, giving hundreds of teenagers the holiday of a life time and the space to learn about Christianity in a meaningful way. I got back home to a distraught phone call from Emma telling me to pick up the kids. Our oldest daughter had put a football through one of the church windows...ouch! Welcome home.

2 comments:

Sanjee Perera said...

Rich,

Since the forum came to an unfortunate end i have been blogging to replace my cyberwithdrawal. Strangely enough i found your blog quite randomly. WE all missed you when ou sneakily dissappeared. Hope you and Emma are having a good time and that Issy is leaving church windows alone now. Love to all at home.

Sanjee

Sanjee Perera said...

I have contacted Porthpeon (3). It’s an under canvass CPAS venture in Cornwall not unlike Criccieth. Last night I had a chat with Anne-Marie Foster about joining the leadership team and I am already terrified about joining a place that is entirely strange and new, but then that’s how I felt about Criccieth when I 1st joined 5 years ago!! I will return to Criccieth in a year or 2, I think! I don’t think I could bear to stay away too long.

Richard, if I didn't say this before, thanks for being a huge part of all that is Criccieth and all the behind the scene work you did to hold the wonder and magic of Criccieth together.


Love to Emma and the kids

Sanjee