Sunday, August 10, 2008

Athletic Support Needed

Back from Cambuslang with mixed fortunes in my results.

100 meters = 3rd place in my category but 5th out of 6 in the race. Midway through the race I looked ahead at the winners whose thighs were twice as wide as mine and thought to myself 'this is not my strong distance'.

Long Jump = 1st place...out of 2 competitors. Only one foul jump too. The eye of the tiger was beginning to open!

400 meters = 5th place out of 6. Once the gun went off, and all the runners whizzed passed me, I thought to myself 'this is not my strong distance'. However I did manage to beat the Cambuslang runner who looked like one of those circus strong men, you know the sort with bald heads and twirly moustaches.

Javelin = 2nd place out of 3 in my category. However having never thrown a javelin it was only when I got half way through the run run up that it crossed my mind I was holding a lethal weapon and there were two marshals in the line of my fire. I threw it but forgot to stop running and ran on to the grass. For the second one I decided to slow down and use my dart throwing skill over speed. 26 meters, but then only to be disappointed to discover the record there is 64 meters. The 3rd one never happened. Because i was in the 400 m race, that was started late because the organisers were the biggest bunch of anally retentive knobs ever had fussed over trivial details, I missed the first round. The official refused to budge and I pointed out to her that it was her inefficiency and that her tone was not in the spirit of the games, but the old bag would not back down. I wish I had got her earlier with my missthrow.

High Jump = To qualify you have to clear 1 meter 50. Having never done high jump before this was a tall order as by now my legs were feeling very heavy, and I had no idea what technique you are supposed to use. I was all fro running up and doing a forward dive, but that's not allowed. You have to take off on one foot...but which one I don't know. Needless to say I only cleared 1m 30 and did not qualify.

4 x 100 meters relay = I don't know what position we came but I was delighted to have exchanged the baton without any hiccups and run a good race leaving the strong man and his team far behind.

Unfortunately we did not win promotion. For me the half marathon the day before was taking its toll as was the lack of any idea of how to do half the events I was in hindered my performance. Andrew & Isabelle did well, with him winning long jump and Isabelle getting 3rd in shot put and long jump. Today my legs are stiff as a board, I think I will have a rest.

No comments: