Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Herriot Country



20 minutes earlier thou were up that big t'hill behind thee.


We've just got back from 9 days in Wensleydale, home of Wallace & Gromitts Wensleydale Cheese, and the location for the books and tv series 'All Creatures Great & Small'. It's a nice place to visit and quite traditional and unspoilt given its close proximity to Newcastle.
Whilst there I managed to get a race in. TheHerriot Country Trail Run 14 km . It started at Castle Bolton in Redmire where we stayed, the same location for a pirate reinactment group. The day before I actually bumped into Captain Jack Sparrow who kindly offered to come and talk to the 30 kids we had with us from camp. Stuart talked to him for 30 minutes about his sword. A strange mix of swashbuckling blokes in pirates outfits, and bollock swishing athletes wearing running shorts!
The race clashed with the hottest day so far, and it got hotter as we climbed. Not a breeze to be found and at 8 miles I was feeling a little peculiar and broke my own rule of walking on a flat bit during a hill run. I managed to press on and got a respectable 67 minutes,putting me 35th out of 267. As far as I know I was the only Scottish Club runner, but overshadowed by someone from Dubai (i bet the heat didn't bother them) I can't complain at that as I have been eating yet more cakes and seconds and third helpings of everything on the camp and feeling a little bit clogged up.
Anyway, if you are ever hungry in the Dales, then you can only go to one place for fast food. Check it out for yourself. click here

No comments: