Sunday, August 10, 2008

Olympics


Daly Thompson, a true Olympian


The Olympics are here. I never intended to watch them but I enjoy the fact that for many of the athletes, getting there is reward enough and they get a few weeks off work, get the chance of becoming a local hero and get to go on a jolly. I also find myself watching sport I would never normally look at, like the equestrian event I am watching now. I have even gone one step further and actually started to participate in events new to me. Tomorrow I head off to Cambuslang with the kids and the running club for the final day of the athletics season, with promotion to division 2 to be played for. Because we are equal to the Cambuslang, we need to field as many athletes as possible in as many events to notch up extra points and win the promotion place. Just by entering an event, we get a point for the club. So guess who is doing the 100m, 400 m, 800m, javelin, shot put, long jump and 110m hurdles tomorrow? I've Googled how to do them so I will be fine (except all the instructions are for right handed people and I'm a lefty). I'm working on my grip and thrust and I have grown a bushy moustache so I can look like Daly Thompson

1 comment:

Colin Taylor said...

Thought that was Rob Graham with a 'tache for a minute there